Sunday, November 10, 2013

Imperfections ~ #SexySnippets


Sweet mother of God, I've finished Incidental Contact. (More about the delay after my #SexySnippet, if you're interested) Here's my seven, from the same title:


She’d seen him shirtless before, she just hadn't been expected to talk during the experience.

When he sat back, she eyed the rippling muscle and bronze skin. Not graduating suddenly meant little. What mattered was how she wanted to rub her nose in that perfect mat of dark hair on his chest. The urge was foreign, like someone else stuck the idea into her brain. She’d never been this close to male perfection. She wasn't sure she wanted to be, since their proximity gave him ample opportunity to see her imperfections, yet at the same time, she wanted to curl up against his strong chest.


Be sure to read the sexy snippets from the other participants. Check the links here, or follow on Twitter or Facebook



Okay, for those who've stuck around to hear why my daughter could have a baby in less time than it took me to birth this book, here goes:

I had Soft Sounds of Pleasure mostly written when I saw an open call for a Christmas short. I wrote Incidental Contact to those specifications. (At the time, it was titled Jingle Bells and the Last Oil Filter.) The story was accepted, then I learned the publisher wanted to publish books one and two first. Since Wildly Inappropriate was but a gleam in my eye at the time, much time passed before I looked at Amy and Eric's story again.

When the suggestion was made to expand the tale, I started writing. A lot of things had happened in WI that weren't accounted for in the Last Oil Filter, because I hadn't yet written Dan and Cynda's story.  Naturally, the story line deviated from the one in my head when I'd initially written Eric and Amy's tale.

I had a new version completed to about 70k when all hell broke loose at my publisher. I won't go into all the gory details, but it's very disheartening to hear someone thinks it's cool to expand their business using money due their authors, then 'borrow' more royalties from other authors to pay those he screwed the first time around. While I was fighting to have my rights to SSoP and WI returned for breach of contract (so said publisher would no longer have money of mine to take), Wildly Inappropriate alone was pirated over 10,000 times. (Thanks, Scribd.)

So that drama translated into three or four months when I wrote nothing. Frankly, those two things can suck out your soul if you allow it. In the meantime, I'd found a huge hole in the overall De Marco timeline. Draft one tried too hard to fix that mistake Draft two was better, but had too much emphasis on the wrong characters. Frustrated and tired of the story, I set it aside to pursue other projects.

Honestly? Eric and Amy's story is better for the delay. Every new version has kept the best of the prior one and new material kept coming. I'm thrilled to say the manuscript's in the hands of my editor now, and hopefully, in a month or less, those hard-core De Marco fans still out there will finally see Eric fall in love.

And boy, does he suffer to do it. I thought that was only fair. <grin>

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week.

Oooh...baby pictures! So glad you asked.





4 comments :

  1. Such a great Snippet, Eden.
    Goodness me, what a rough time you've had. When publishing goes wrong it's such a heartache, as well as a nightmare. I know that from personal experience only too well, Glad you're back on track and your grand daughter is adorabubble, as we say in our house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the Snippet.
    Sorry to hear you have had such problems with a publisher. Your grand-daughter looks like a litte gem. So sweet.
    Good luck with the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and a beautiful grandchild. I hope the worst of the difficulties are behind you. Good luck with the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost reach out my hand and touch his chest and run my fingers over that rippling chest. Great detail.
    As for baby pic's, Beautiful. Welcome to the world little princess xxx

    ReplyDelete